Mother’s Day 2020
Happy Mother’s Day & welcome to another digital church service! Do you know what’s in Exodus 20? We’re there this morning even as we celebrate Mother’s Day a tad differently this year.
Note: the Facebook feed was interrupted just before we took communion – The second video is when Pastor Jon hopped back on to lead us in the sacrament.
The 10 Commandments are in Exodus 20! They are grouped into two sections:
- First 5 – relationship with God.
- Second 5 – Relationship with People.
In Matthew 22.34-40 Jesus echos this.
Exodus 20.12 is the focus because of Mother’s Day. Some Interesting parallels:
- Exodus 20.12 – Honor your Father and Mother
- Leviticus 19.3 – Revere your Mother and Father
Why does this matter?
The implication is clear:
A society in which children do not honor their parents will rapidly lose the means through which the society’s culture, religion, and ethics can be transmitted, and thus will soon disintegrate.Rabbi Joseph Telushkin, Biblical Literacy, pg.431
What does it look like when we remove honor and respect from people? Just take a look at the comments section of any website.
God’s desire is for us to uphold the relationships in our homes. The concept of honoring your parents is a timeless truth.
Some examples specific to moms:
- Mary, Jesus’ mother in John 19:26–27. In a moment that defined the history of the world He showed honor His mother.
- Lois & Eunice, the grandmother and mother of Timothy, mentioned by Paul in 2 Timothy 1.3-7. These women of faith had an impact in Timothy’s life.
Let’s honor our Mom’s today.
Other Sermons In This Series
The Last Words of Christ: The Resurrection
April 21, 2019
January 03, 2021
Celebrating God’s Gifts
December 01, 2013